Posts tagged ‘repurpose’

Barn Wood Mirror



This framed mirror is made from 2×4’s from a 100 year old barn. No fancy joinery necessary here. The boards are glued together using pipe clamps and then a plywood board is screwed on the back of the 2×4’s. The mirror is glued into the middle section. The hinges are screwed into the 2×4’s for aesthetics. The barn wood is finished with a water based polyurethane. This is easily a weekend project.


Barn Wood Bench

barnwood bench 1barnwood bench 2

barnwood bench 3

This is made from the same lumber taken from the 100 year old barn that I tore down. It’s an interesting mix of douglas fir, oak, and redwood. All is old growth and has very tight grain. Needless to say, the bench ended up substantially heavy. I used through mortises to connect the legs to the top. Then I drilled dowels through the mortise and tenons to secure them from falling out if the glue should fail. I drilled from the middle of each of the two outside boards so the dowels would not show up on the bench top. Once the dowels were drilled and glued in, I put the sleeve over both ends to hold all four boards together. I used a dado blade to cut the ends of the 2×4’s to fit into the sleeve. The sleeve was made using a mortiser. It was finished with a water based polyurethane. This ended up going to a Christmas exchange

Barn Wood Coat Rack

IMAG0192 My shitzu helper. Pulling nails from the
main post of the coat rack.
IMAG0202IMG_20121121_192303_856barnwood coat rack

This is a coat rack built with barnwood from a 100 year old barn that I tore down. It is old growth redwood with a tung oil finish. The cap was cut and hammered from a sheet of copper. The rings are original hardware from the barn and have been clear coated to protect clothing hung on the rack. The hangers are ratcheting drill presses. The back of the handles were sanded down so they would sit flat against the main post. The feet are mortised together with a peg that runs from the main post down through the base. The whole thing is connected by a lag bolt and metal plate that have been inset into the base using a mortiser. This project was a gift for my grandparents.