Posts tagged ‘barnwood’

Barn wood Hope Chest

image

After hours of searching through my stash of barnwood lumber I had picked out the wood for the hope chest that I would be giving my, girlfriend at the time, now fiance.

The next step was to layout all the pieces of the frame to get an idea of the footprint.

image

I built the base first using 2×4’s. The frame itself is 4 2×4’s cut at 45 degree angles and doweled together. The support pieces in the center were ripped off of 2×4’s as well and then doweled to the outer frame. To glue it all up I used some ratcheting straps and a couple of extra hands.

image

After the glue up, I ripped the aromatic cedar boards to the correct dimensions and placed the on the supports.

image

Now that the base was complete I moved on to the frame for the chest. There are two levels of 2×4’s that come the 4×4’s. To achieve this I mortised the 4×4’s on the correct corners and made a tenon on each end of the 2×4’s. The tenons were then cut at 45 degree angles to meet flush inside the 4×4 creating a very strong joint.

image

After getting the frame just how I wanted, I ripped more of the cedar lumber down to create an inner wall for the chest.

image

Next I made feet for the chest out of 4×4’s. To accomplish this I made two cuts into the 4×4 to make an “L” shape with a notch in the back. I think cut the curved sections on a band saw.

image

image

I installed the outer walls, putting a 2×4 ripped down to 1×2 to act as spacers for the inner and outer walls on the long sections. The ends contain “hidden compartments” with hangers for jewelry. The picture above shows the finish going on before the inner cedar walls are installed for the final time.

image

I wanted to keep pressure on the inner walls during the glue-up. So, I stole the bottle jack from my pickup (thankfully I didn’t have a flat tire during this).
image

Next I installed the outer doors after attaching the chest to the base. These are mounted on hinges and supported by brass chains. A magnetic latch releases the doors when depressed. I rounded off the top inside edge of each door to ensure that each opened and closed smoothly. Now for the lid…
image

The lid has an inner wall of aromatic cedar and outer of barnwoods to match the rest of the chest. The 2×4’s have mortise and tenons, as shown in the photo above, and the cedar boards ripped from the lumber was attached using dowel joints.
image

I commissioned the carving above out of walnut. This would later be installed on the inside of lid for the chest.
image

The final glue-up for this project was the top barnwoods panels for the lid. Four pieces make up the outer wall of the lid. Two slender pieces on the outside perpendicular to the longer boards to add a little geometric interest.

image

image

image

And finally to finish it off with the stamp of approval.

This was about a yearlong process. It had it’s trials, but the end result was a unique gift for a very deserving girlfriend (now fiance).

image

image

The hope chest in it’s current resting place with the barnwood mirror referenced in a previous blog I had written.

Barn Wood Mirror

IMG_20121231_121639_247IMG_20121231_141816_803IMG_20130104_221918_547

IMG950018

This framed mirror is made from 2×4’s from a 100 year old barn. No fancy joinery necessary here. The boards are glued together using pipe clamps and then a plywood board is screwed on the back of the 2×4’s. The mirror is glued into the middle section. The hinges are screwed into the 2×4’s for aesthetics. The barn wood is finished with a water based polyurethane. This is easily a weekend project.

Barn Wood Bench

barnwood bench 1barnwood bench 2

barnwood bench 3

This is made from the same lumber taken from the 100 year old barn that I tore down. It’s an interesting mix of douglas fir, oak, and redwood. All is old growth and has very tight grain. Needless to say, the bench ended up substantially heavy. I used through mortises to connect the legs to the top. Then I drilled dowels through the mortise and tenons to secure them from falling out if the glue should fail. I drilled from the middle of each of the two outside boards so the dowels would not show up on the bench top. Once the dowels were drilled and glued in, I put the sleeve over both ends to hold all four boards together. I used a dado blade to cut the ends of the 2×4’s to fit into the sleeve. The sleeve was made using a mortiser. It was finished with a water based polyurethane. This ended up going to a Christmas exchange

Barn Wood Coat Rack

IMAG0192 My shitzu helper. Pulling nails from the
main post of the coat rack.
IMAG0202IMG_20121121_192303_856barnwood coat rack

This is a coat rack built with barnwood from a 100 year old barn that I tore down. It is old growth redwood with a tung oil finish. The cap was cut and hammered from a sheet of copper. The rings are original hardware from the barn and have been clear coated to protect clothing hung on the rack. The hangers are ratcheting drill presses. The back of the handles were sanded down so they would sit flat against the main post. The feet are mortised together with a peg that runs from the main post down through the base. The whole thing is connected by a lag bolt and metal plate that have been inset into the base using a mortiser. This project was a gift for my grandparents.